The BaseHead Mac version 5.x Public Beta is available!
You can join the Public Beta forum by clicking the button below
If you were considering purchasing or upgrading to 4.x soon, we'd actually prefer you just use the 5.x BETA for free during the beta phase instead of buy 4.x at this point. Keep your money in your pocket and just help us mash bugs for now 8)
Below is the old version 4.x info that will be updated as we get closer to the 5.x release for macOS.
BaseHead 3.x already dominates the video game industry and now with the release of version 4.x expect a World Wide Hostile Takeover!
If you are a sound designer for video games or feature films using a DAW like Nuendo or Pro Tools and want to speed up your workflow, then this is the product to get!
Originally we made this program just for ourselves only, but the BaseHead Project has grown beyond that being used by thousands daily to FIND SH*T FAST!!
Check out some of the new 4.x features in the video to the Right! ---->>>
A detailed list of changes and new features are here in this Google Doc
Version 4.x for Mac will come in 3 flavors...
BaseHead 4.x Ultra (for the power users)
BaseHead 4.x (the standard edition)
BaseHead 4.x Lite (for people not needing all the fancy bells and whistles)
The Ultra Edition will come with the whole kitchen sink of new features including....
- Imports: Name import and sub divide your Database for easier re-scanning and removal of chunks of it.
- Groups: allows you to group and colorize your favorite sounds while importing or after.
- Libraries: Put your favorite sounds in virtual folders for quick access, pulling sounds and exporting!
- Mass Batch Tagging: Rename just about every field now that burns into NON-Encrypted iXML.
IMPORTANT: We don't believe in locking people into our software, so we will NEVER Encrypt your tagging to force you to keep using BaseHead!
NEVER! EVER! We believe in just making better software that you actually want to use instead of doing shady tactics like other companies do... 8)
- NEW: "Follow Session Folder" just added for Pro Tools users also. Nuendo and Cubase already had this option previously.
When ON the set Transfer Path will automatically follow the DAW session Audio Files folder. (Not in Lite Version)
- Thesaurus Searching with a built in Thesaurus that is editable and a user definable Thesaurus also.
- Auto-Complete that is also now user editable.
- 12 VST slots now with full preset Store/Recall functions with a Improved VST scanner
- Individual Channel Extraction from Interleaved files with Sum to Mono Option
- Tight Source Nexus Integration (with a special offer for BaseHead Users)
- New Import Window with options to create and name Imports and tag Imports into Groups with many other new Import options.
- New Database management functions like (Rename/Delete/Clear DB)
- Dims records that have been played already for better visual feedback.
- Batch Offline Renaming options.
- Nuendo/Cubase: Spot with Handles option
- Nuendo/Cubase/Pro Tools: Can Spot multiple file Inline or on different tracks now
- Sync Points can now be set inside files that transfer to Nuendo/Cubase
- M/S Stereo Decoding
- Ability add your Album Art/Images to files. (Coming in Final Release or soon after)
- Enhanced Taglist, Browser and Rename Panel with more options and actions.
- File renaming direct in the Details Panel for the Browser and Results Pages.
- Nuendo 7/Cubase 8, Pro Tools 12 and Logic X support added
- NEW: LIST chunk reading. This metadata chunk is used by Wavelab, Sound Forge and BWF Metaedit.
So BaseHead will now read these tags also during importing.
- Transfers files with Pitch and VST plugins now! (Not in the current Public Beta)
- plus a Sh*t Ton of Workflow and GUI improvements!! 8)
The Standard Edition is missing some of the above Ultra features....
- Libraries, Destructive Editing, Thesaurus Searching
- Individual Channel Extraction, Sync Points,
- Mass Batch Tagging/Renaming, BaseHead Server Support
- Transfer Options limited to 48/24
The Lite Edition also excludes (but far from crippled)
- Description Renaming, File Browser, Taglist Page
- Target App Support (Spot to Track and Xfer to Pool)
- Groups, Imports, Paths, Playlists, Favorite/Recent Searches, DB Hot-swapping
- Drive Re-Mapping, Auto Complete, M/S Decoding, Skip Silence
- Process Panel/VST, Playback Regions and the new Import Window
Feature Comparison Table
The Lite version is NOT Crippled by a limited amount of databases, sample rates, surround playback or any of that non-sense..
It's still 110% BaseHead to the Core and perfect for people like video editors needing to pull temp SFX.
Still confused which version to buy.?
Each version is designed with this in mind basically.
4.x Ultra - Sound Designers
4.x Standard - SFX, Dialog, and Foley Editors
4.x Lite - Video Editors, Musicians,Music Editor and Re-Recording mixers.
You can upgrade to a higher version at anytime and only pay the difference, plus a small $15 license transfer fee.....8)
Preview all 3 versions today by installing and running the included Demo version!
New Video from Pro Sound Effects showing their top 6 top favorite BaseHead features!
Watch Video Tutorials HERE!
To see a full list of changes and new features in 4.x from 3.x see this
Version 4.x Screenshots!!!
Previous version 3.x features that are also in most versions of 4.x
- A cutting edge User Interface!
- Cross-platform license and Database format (No Extra Charge)
- Licenses work over a Network or even the Web! (yes, I said Web...8))
- A single dongle can hold multiple network accessible licenses
- 47 Fields of Metadata searchable
- 4 Separate Search Input Fields so you can fine tune searches with Search History
- Injects renamed Descriptions back into the audio files
- Boolean Searching (And, Or, Not, Exact)
- Server Database Support using BaseHead Server
- Skip Silence playback
- Ability to Set and Remove of Playback Markers
- Ability to Add Pre, Post and BWAV Descriptions
- Album art is shown if embedded in the ID3 tags
- Plays sounds at different pitches using the Number Pad 0-9
- Split Stereo Playback of .L and .R WAV and AIF files as stereo.
- Common Combo and ALL searching in the search boxes
- Auto-Complete Searching
- 5.1 files play like they are meant to be heard (out separate 6 speakers)
- Destructive Editing..
(No more need for a 2 track editor to chop parts out of files)
- Reverse Playback and Shuffle Mode
- Multi-channel audio playback Crashed to Stereo
- MP3, OGG, AAC and FLAC playback and reading with Tags
- Browser and Taglist pages
- Hardwired Region Spotting to Nuendo/Cubase, Pro Tools and Logic
- Reads iXML field recorder data
- Auto-Switching Paths Feature (Changes Transfer Path based on opened session)
- Back/Forward searches like a Web browser
- "Spot with Handles" for Pro Tools 10-12
- SoundMiner v3 Metadata Importing and Ripper v4 data imported
- New PeekTree panel that shows:
Favorite and Recent Searches
Playlist (recently played sounds)
Recent Paths, and recently Transferred sounds
Applications With Advanced Target App support:
Nuendo/Cubase, Pro Tools, Logic 9 and X
Most all DAW's can be used with BaseHead including Reaper, Studio One, AVID Media Composer etc....
any with Drag and Drop support from the desktop!!
Metadata Chunks Read during Importing:
iXML, aXML, bext, ID3, ANNO, SNDN, nmix, SNDM, LIST, OGG, Finder/Spotlight Comments
Metadata Chunks Written:
iXML, aXML, bext, ID3 (LIST Coming soon)
macOS 10.6 or Higher for CmStick or System Binded Licenses
USB or iLok2 authorized versions will need macOS 10.8 to 10.13
NEW!! Codemeter CmStick USB dongles are NO LONGER required for the license!
You can go Dongle Free, USB Flash drive or even bind to an iLok2 via USB Device Locking now!
See the new licensing info ON THIS PAGE
If you choose to use a CmStick as your mode of licensing, keep in mind that they can hold multiple licenses that can be accessed over a network, so only one is needed per facility.